12 Fun Indoor Activities for the Kids!
Children love to be outside and get in all the fresh air and sunshine, which can be pretty difficult in the winter months, or when there is bad weather outside. That’s why it’s always a good idea to have a few indoor activities up your sleeve to help aid with children’s boredom. Plus, it can be fun for the whole family and a great bonding experience.
Below are some family-friendly activities that will not only engage your child’s mind but will help to release some energy in a fun, creative way!
1. Coloring and Painting – Do they have a favorite tv show or cartoon character? Print out free coloring pages from that show or of that character to keep it fun and exciting. Possibilities are endless with painting as well. Maybe just let them use their hands instead of brushes to create their own masterpiece.
2. Playing and Making Play-Doh and Slime – These days, it seems all you hear kids talk about is slime. Get creative and surprise them with a “make your own slime” kit. Another fan favorite for generations is Play-Doh. Not only is it fun and colorful, but it can also help build motor skills and imagination by creating different objects.
3. Magic Show – Kids love magic. Performing magic tricks is a great way to join your child in a world of imagination, while also gaining some cool parent points! You can google some magic tricks and then wow your kids. Maybe even teach them how to do one themselves.
4. Building a Fort – Forts can have many uses and are great for engaging children’s imaginative skills. Whether it’s a little nook for themselves, a play-pretend house, or just a nice place to relax and read, blanket forts are a lot of fun to make. Plus, all you need to build one can be found throughout the house! You can use blankets, couch cushions, kitchen chairs, and other items to help make your fort. Get creative!
5. Go on an Indoor Scavenger Hunt – What’s more fun than a scavenger hunt? Coming up with a scavenger hunt with a list of random objects for your child to find all over the house will certainly keep them entertained. You can even make it a theme and have it be a treasure hunt!
6. Have a Dance Party – A fun way to get active and release some energy! Choose or create a playlist together with some of their favorite songs, blare the music, and get moving. Maybe even create your own dance routine or moves!
7. Put on a Fashion Show – We all know kids love to play dress up and what’s a better way than to do that with a fashion show. Let them put on your clothes, their own clothes, or you can even make it a theme (because costumes don’t just have to be for Halloween).
8. Paint Pet Rocks – Kids of all ages will get a kick out of this one. It’s very simple, all you need is a smooth rock, some paint and paintbrushes, and a little imagination. The rock can be anything from an animal, their favorite character, to an array of colors.
9. Do Exercise Videos Together – A great energy-busting activity! We all know kids have an endless supply of energy, so use that to your advantage and get them to do an exercise video with you. Not only are they fun, but they can help with boredom and boost moods through endorphins. Plus, exercise videos are easy to come by as youtube is packed with them with plenty of different types.
10. Baking and Decorating – Take the creativity to the kitchen! Have some extra hands in the kitchen to help you prepare the sweet treat of choice. While it might be a little messier than normal, kids will have a blast decorating their own cookies, cupcakes, or sundaes to eat.
11. Play Hide and Seek – One of the all-time greats of childhood games. Plus the whole family can be involved in this one since parents can hide too! Did you know that this game has plenty of brain benefits for kids as well? It can help improve their memory, self-control, and mental flexibility. Plus, it’s fun!
12. Create a Movie Theatre at Home – Since most theaters are currently closed, this is a fun activity to do at home. Buy some movie theater popcorn and some of their favorite snacks and enjoy some family bonding time over a movie at home. Also, you can even make a fort to have your movie night in!
Need some ideas for outside activities for when the weather starts to get warmer? We can help! Recreation Unlimited loves helping children discover the world of play right in their own backyard. With a huge selection of playsets, trampolines, basketball goals, and more, we have the tools to bring their imagination to life and ensure they have a blast outside! Call us at (317) 773-3545 or visit our Noblesville showroom to learn more.